Saturday 5 January 2013

Weekend Musings

Hello Everyone!

So I am officially back in Guelph and it feels so good. I have been in a bit of a funk lately and I need to start getting back into a routine. I felt really lazy at home and I am very happy to start being busy again. I don't actually have any classes until Tuesday, but I have plenty of errands to run and I want to hit the gym for some cardio.

I was thrilled to arrive at my house yesterday to find 4 different packages waiting for me. Most of them were products to review, but my favourite was a care package Alex!


Isn't she just the sweetest! We don't get Luna Protein bars in Canada and I have never seen pumpkin pie Clif bars either, I can't wait to dive into those!

I already ripped open the Kashi bar and was not disappointed. I haven't had an actual granola bar in ages because I have always thought they had too many carbs and sugars, but they are actually delicious! Plus, the Kashi bars have great stats. 7 grams of protein and 5 grams of sugar in a granola bar is pretty much unheard of. Plus, it's so hearty; that's a whole entire almond there!


I am also getting back to my usual vegetable-heavy diet, which feels great. Yesterday for lunch I made a stir-fry with zucchini, cabbage, lentils and homemade peanut sauce.


I haven't had breakfast yet today, but I can't wait to make my usual hot and hearty oat bran. I think I'm feeling chocolate and peanut butter this morning...

I am also going to go get a new pair of running shoes today. I haven't bought them in about 3 years and frankly, I'm not even sure what to buy. I used to buy Asics gel shoes when I was a big runner. However, I don't run long distances anymore, so I will probably look for more of a cross-training shoe. Any advice from the shoe experts out there??

I am looking for something in the $100 range and I want pretty ones! I always get plain running shoes with maybe a stripe or something, but I think it's time for me to be a little more adventurous. I am kind of smitten with these purple Nike LunarEclipses.


***

So, my mum works with a friend of hers who has a sprout business and the other day, my family was over at her house for dessert. We got to talking about sprouts, and I mentioned how I had always wanted to grow my own sprouts. Without my even asking, she ended up giving me a whole bag of mixed seeds, a little instruction kit and some netting to put over mason jars. It was so sweet! I can't wait to sprout some of my own!


I always buy them from the farmers market, but I always feel bad about paying $3 for a little bag of something that I could grow myself for pennies. The mix my mum's friend gave me has lentils, fenugreek and several other seeds that I can't remember, but I love sprout mixes like that. After I harvest my first successful batch, I will post about it with tips on how to get started yourself!

Have a great end to your weekend!

What are your favourite running shoes?

Have you ever grown your own sprouts?