Tuesday 15 January 2013

WIAW: Experiments

Hello Friends,

First of all, I would like to say thank you to everyone for their supportive comments and text messages about yesterday's post. It was a tough subject to talk about because I haven't been very proud of myself lately. However, with the help of some good friends, I have been able to think more rationally. The weight that I gained over Christmas took a few weeks to come on, so it will take twice that long to come off with eating properly and exercising if that's what my body wants. However, if after another month of keeping up my healthy routine, I still can't button my jeans, it might actually be time for a new pair.

Anyway, on to WIAW!


Now that I am back to grocery shopping, eating well and making some of my old favourites, I have also had the urge to try out some foodie experiments.

My first experiment was something I have been talking about on the blog for a few days now, at-home spouting!


I was actually remarkably successful with this. My sprouts looked beautiful and tasted even more beautiful. I decided to try them out yesterday on the most epic salad I have had in a long time. Seriously, my lack of veggies of Christmas is no match for the masterpiece I created in this bowl.


Into the bowl went... spinach, cabbage, cucumber, celery, red bell pepper, tuna, grated carrot, dijon dressing, my sprouts, a scoop of my favourite antipasto and a handful of Bean Ladies' smokey bacon soy beans for crunch :) So, SOOO delicious!

I will be doing a post on getting started with sprouting very soon!

 I also experimented with a new recipe. My aunt sent me a recipe that she had seen in a fitness magazine and asked me to try it out for her. Of course, I modified the heck out of it according to what I had on hand, but it turned out delicious and I am sticking to it!

Pumpkin Protein Pancakes

Ingredients:

Pancakes:
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
2 eggs (or 1/2 cup egg whites)
1 tbs almond butter
1/2 tsp cinnamon
A handful of blueberries or raisins
Canola oil

Topping:
1/3-1/2 cup greek yogurt
To taste: orange-flavoured stevia OR orange extract + stevia 

Preparation:

1. Beat together pumpkin puree, eggs, almond butter and cinnamon
2. Coat frying pan with canola oil and turn to medium heat
3. Spoon "batter" into pan to desired pancake size
4. Sprinkle fruit onto uncooked side


5. Cook until one side is brown, flip and cook until other side is brown and pancakes are firm
6. Mix together yogurt and stevia (or stevia + orange extract) and spoon on top of pancakes
7. Enjoy!


These totally tasted like my mom's pumpkin pie. I got the inspiration for the orange flavour because she always puts orange zest in her pie filling. Mmmm...

Apart from from those meals, I have just been playing around with old favourites and making strange-but-good combinations/

Spaghetti squash mixed with tuna, topped with my homemade vegan pesto.
Weird, I know, but delicious!

Sesame-soy shrimp, roasted brussels sprouts and baba ganoush for dipping.

Roasted veggies and shrimp, drenched in homemade peanut sauce.

For the sauce in the above dish, I simply mixed peanut flour, soy sauce, garlic powder and cayenne, then thinned it out with water.

Apple pie oats, topped with a big scoop of peanut butter.
A former PB-phobic now can't go a day without it!

I hope you all enjoy your Wednesdays, we're only half-way to the weekend!!

Have you made any delicious foodie experiments lately?

Do you have favourite strange-but-good combos?