Thursday 3 January 2013

Goal Time!

I'm Back! Happy New Year!


Sorry I have been absent for a few days. I was out of town on New Years Day and then yesterday I realized that I had absolutely zero material for WIAW. Really, my post would have been a bowl of yogurt and that's it. So, I decided to take another day off, I'm still on holiday after all!

Today, I wanted to recount my goals from December and lay out some new ones for January. I have mentioned before that I don't make New Years resolutions because they tend to be too lofty and drawn-out. I never remember what they are by the time December rolls around, and if I did I would probably be disappointed in myself if I didn't meet all of them.

Before I start into the goals, I'll tell you about my latest obsession, or rather "re-obsession", Les Miserables. Has anyone seen the new movie?? It is absolutely breathtaking! I just want to see it again and again. I first saw the show when I was 12 or 13 and it totally took hold of me. I haven't listened to the music for years, but when I heard it was coming to the big screen I started listening to the songs again. It is just so moving, and everyone in it is phenomenally talented. Anne Hathaway needs to win an Oscar or I will lose faith in humanity. I am also head-over-heels in love with Eddie Redmayne at the moment. Maybe it's because he can sing, maybe it's the British accent; either way, I'm smitten :)

Anyone else? Eh? Eh?

***

Moving on, I will give you a quick recap of my December goals and let you know how they went:

1. Compliment at least one person everyday

I sort of failed at this one. I always compliment people when the opportunity arises, but I need to get into the habit of going out of my way to do it. Sometimes, the compliments that come out of the blue mean the most and I want to get better at doing that.

2. Eat more in the mornings

I actually did pretty well at this one. Since I have been more easy-going about my caloric intake lately, I don't feel as antsy about eating more in the morning if I'm hungry because I know that it is okay to satisfy my hunger later in the day if I need to.

3. Get more sleep

I did pretty well at this one too. However, I don't think it really counts since I have been on vacation for most of the month and haven't had to get up for class everyday. I am going to make this one of my goals for January as well, except I will have the added challenge of getting enough sleep on top of my school schedule.

4. Focus on my strengths

This goal was successful for the majority of the month. My hot yoga marathon was definitely a big help in making me feel strong and accomplished. I have started to view my body with less rigorous standards. I know that my character and integrity are what other people really care about and that has been a good thing to focus on.

*January Goals*

1. Amp up the cardio

I have spent the last 3 weeks just doing yoga and some strength training. It has been a great break and very restorative, but I am starting to get antsy. I am looking forward to some more intense, fast-paced workouts this month.



2. Eat more vegetables

Now that I allow myself to have more carbs and sweet things, sometimes that is all I want to eat. The thing is, I really do feel better when I am eating lots of vegetables. I am going to make an effort to bring veggies back with a vengeance this month. Luckily, it will get easier in a few days when I leave my parents' house. They just have too many carby, sweet, awesome things and it makes it hard to focus!

I actually love carrots, so this won't be me.

3. Take more chances

I have always been a very safe person in everything from relationships to money to school to my chosen activities. However, being ballsy and taking a chance a few weeks ago felt really good and it actually had a positive outcome. I want to start being more open to taking chances. I am not all of a sudden going to start bungee jumping and buying lottery tickets everyday, but I do think that there are opportunities I could be missing out on if I don't take risks every so often.


4. Fit sleep in school schedule

Although I have been managing to get sleep in this holiday, I need to reset my sleep schedule so that I can actually get my work done and then get up for 8:30am classes feeling well-rested. This will probably be one of the more difficult goals to achieve, but I am going to shoot for 7-8 hours every night.


I'll be back to posting regularly now, have a great day everybody!

Have you seen Les Mis?

What are your goals for the next month or year?