Monday 31 December 2012

MIMM: Breakfast Done Right

Hello Friends,

Since it is Monday, I wanted to share with you a marvelous recipe that I made today. I have never been into making fancy breakfasts. I usually just stick with oat bran or my recent go-to of Greek yogurt. However, my brother's band has been staying at my house for a few days and my mum put me on breakfast duty.


The first morning, I made my Epic Frittata, which was a huge hit and this morning I decided to try some fancy French toast.

Since peanut butter and banana is one of my favourite combinations ever, I decided to stuff this French toast with peanut butter and caramelized bananas. It was delicious! I have seriously been on a roll with this breakfast thing lately. Obviously, I'm not even close to being in the same league as Heather, but I think I will keep experimenting with stuffed French toast in the future. Maybe apple cinnamon or a creamy berry stuffing? I think this one over a bit more.

So here is the recipe for what I made today. I know 7 is a weird number of servings, but you can easily adjust the recipe to make more or less. The loaf I was using only had 14 pieces of bread and I was making the recipe for 6 hungry people, so I just went with it.

Peanut Butter and Caramelized Banana Stuffed French Toast

Ingredients: Serves 7

14 slices of whole grain bread
3 bananas
1 tbs coconut oil
1 tbs coconut sugar (or your preferred sweetener)
6-7 tbs natural peanut butter
1.5 cups egg whites
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1.5 tsp vanilla extract

Preparation:

1. Preheat oven to 350 F
2. Melt coconut oil in a large frying pan
3. Thinly slice bananas and begin cooking them coconut oil over medium heat


4. Sprinkle coconut sugar over bananas and cook until they are slightly brown and caramelized



5. Lay out 7 slices of bread in a baking dish or baking pan with a rim
6. Spread about a tablespoon of peanut butter in the centre of each slice of bread
7. Divide caramelized bananas evenly between each slice of bread and make sure they stay in the centre


8. Mix together egg whites, cinnamon and vanilla
9. Place the other 7 slices of bread on top of the first 7 and pour half of egg white mixture on top
10. Let bread soak for 20-30 minutes then flip over and pour the remaining egg white mixture on top. You may have to use more or less egg depending on how well it absorbs into the bread; I ended up using a little more
11. transfer sandwiches to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper
12. Bake for 25 minutes total, flipping sandwiches over about halfway through baking time


13. Serve with maple syrup, jam or whatever toppings your little heart desires


So there it is. If anyone tries it out and makes an improvement to the recipe, let me know. I'm always open to suggestions!

I hope you all have a Marvelous Monday!

Do you have any breakfast specialties?