Saturday 29 December 2012

14 in 14 Recap

Hey Y'All!

So yesterday I did my last hot yoga class of my 14 in 14 challenge for my 2013 Bucket List. Even with a majorly bruised tailbone from my little flight down our staircase on Friday, I managed to do a class yesterday. It actually wasn't so bad once I got into each pose, but the transitions were a bit painful...

I ended up taking Christmas Day and Boxing Day off, but I doubled-up two days so I managed to get 14 classes in in two weeks! Of course, I will probably keep going most days for the rest of my Christmas break, but it feels really good to accomplish something that I set out to do.

I wanted to give you a quick recap of how I felt at the end of the two weeks; I will just talk about some of the main points.


Flexibility:

I didn't notice a huge difference here, because I have always been quite flexible. However, I did notice that towards the end of my challenge, I was starting to come into poses with greater ease. Also, some of the poses that might have started to hurt after holding them for a while felt more comfortable. For example, sleeping pigeon has always been one of my favourite poses, but holding it too long used to make my hips feel tight. Now, I feel a lot more at ease holding it for a long time.

Focus:

I noticed that I became more focused with repetition.  While my mind used to wander all over the place in class, I have been able to focus much more clearly on my practice lately. Classes also don't seem as long anymore. I used to stick to 1 hour classes because the 1.5 hour classes just felt way too long. However, I actually prefer the longer classes now because we can hold the poses longer and I can achieve more depth in each one.


Strength:

I have definitely noticed increased strength in many of the poses. A few of the teachers at the studio run some pretty intense classes and so every few days I would get pummeled with ab work or a million pushups and vinyasa flows in a row. Although yoga isn't about pushing yourself until you can't go anymore, it was nice to have a few classes that were extra challenging for my muscles. Since I haven't been doing my normal strength training routine this holiday, I like to still feel strong.

Mindfulness:

I have found that on days that I practice, I am more mindful - not just in class - but in everyday life. I am more mindful about how and what I eat and how I interact with people. I am hoping to carry that over into the rest of my life, but it is good to recognize the things that make me more inclined towards mindfulness.

Overall well-being:

Doing yoga everyday has made me feel a little lighter emotionally and physically. I think that sweating out so many toxins has been great for my body and I feel a little healthier after every class. When I get in the habit of going regularly it also helps me with my self-esteem, both in and out of class, something which I know I can always work on.

***

Speaking of crossing items off of my 2013 Bucket List, there is another one that I currently have my eye on.

Sam and I are looking into running a Tough Mudder in May 2013. We decided that in addition to being bloggers, we would like to be certified badasses, and what better way to achieve badass status than to run through mud and fire for 10-12 miles?


I have been talking to friends who have completed Tough Mudders and they all say it's a total blast as long as you have a supportive team to do it with. From what I understand, the race is not about finishing fastest, winning or losing, it is about teamwork and camaraderie. Who can argue with that?


I wanted to put it out there to any other bloggers in the Toronto area who are interested in putting together a team and killing this thing! You can get more info about the event on the Tough Mudder website.


Let me know if you're interested!

What positive effects have you experienced from hot yoga?

Would you be interested in doing a Tough Mudder?