Saturday 8 December 2012

Cookies, Cookies, Cookies!!

Happy Sunday Everyone :)

First, I will give a little exam update. 3 down, 2 to go!! I submitted a take-home exam yesterday, so now I just have one to do on Monday and one on Friday. I'm so close! Although, I got zero studying done yesterday. My day consisted of going out for baking ingredients in the morning, baking cookies ALL DAY and then going to a potluck that I was actually late for because I was waiting for cookies in the oven.

That being said, it looks as though I have some baking results to show you all :)

This was not unlike my night...
So, the first cookie I will share with you is one that I make every year. I am actually known for it. It is that good, so bake with caution. I ended up mashing together a few random internet recipes years ago and then played around with it and the results were amazing. Like I said, I'm kind of a big deal. They are my...

Big, Fat, Chewy Skor Cookies!!


The name doesn't lie. They are big, fat, chewy and not unlike little disks of heaven. So without further ado, here's the recipe!

Big, Fat, Chewy Skor Cookies

Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
½ cup milk chocolate chips
1 cup skor toffee bits
Preparation:
1.  Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper.

2.  Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.

3.  In a medium bowl, cream together the melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar until well blended. Beat in the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk until light and creamy. Mix in the sifted ingredients until just blended.

4.  Eat several handfuls of chocolate chips for quality-assurance purposes.

5.  Stir in the chocolate chips and skor bits by hand using a wooden spoon. Roll cookie dough into balls about a tablespoon at a time and place onto the prepared cookie sheets with enough room in between to allow for spreading.

 


6.  Bake for 16 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the edges are lightly toasted. Half-way through baking time, switch oven racks or turn cookie sheets around. Cool on baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely. 



These things are like cookie gold! 

***

My next cookie was something that Sabrina posted randomly a few months ago and I have not been able to get it off of my mind since!

Are you ready for this?



Caramel Stuffed Apple Cider Cookies!!

The recipe is from Scrambled Henfruit and I was amazed by how well they turned out. You can get the recipe here, but basically, they are cookies with instant apple cider mix added to the dough, which is then formed around whole caramels and baked together. The result is a spicy, sweet, apple-flavoured cookie with a chewy caramel centre. When my roommates tried them they were actually dumbfounded, before squealing, "They taste like pie!!"

We had a slight case of cookie-splosion, but other than that,
they were magnificent!

Look at that close-up! Mmm...
So that was my day! It was not the most productive academically, but it was great for stress relief. I also got to check "something I bake myself" off of my food challenge list so it was an extra good day. I actually have a few more food challenges to cross off of that list, but I will post them soon :)

Lucky for you, Sunday is the perfect day for cookie-baking, so have at it!

Do you have a favourite/specialty cookie recipe?

What is your favourite way to relax on a Sunday?