Friday 28 December 2012

Product Review: Clif and Luna Bars

Hey Folks, 

First of all, I'm sorry if I've been a little absent in the blog world lately. I have had a lot of other things going on, but I know you guys have a lot of great posts up and I will start reading and commenting more from now on.

Anyway, I've got another review today! I got to sample a few varieties of Clif and Luna Bars, which I know are old favourites for a lot of you. However, for anyone who hasn't tried them, here is a little review of what I thought about them.


CLIF BARS

Clif bars are 70% organic energy bars designed for athletes. They have 230-250 calories, 9-11 grams of protein, 4-5 grams of fibre and 21-25 grams of sugar. They are great sources of carbs if you are going to be doing vigorous exercise. They are also chewy and dense and come in a bunch of different flavours that you can check out here.

Crunchy Peanut Butter:



You all know I love my peanut butter and this bar did not disappoint. It was a chewy bar, but had little crunchy pieces, an amazing peanut butter flavour and was really hearty. I love how dense and chewy Clif bars are. In addition to PureFit bars, I brought some Clif bars with me when I volunteered in Costa Rica. They are great because you can stick them in your bag and they don't get squished or melted. A traveler's dream!!

Chocolate Chip:




This one was almost like a big oatmeal chocolate chip cookie, only fatter and chewier. This was definitely one of my favourites of the bunch. The chocolate pieces were big and well-dispersed throughout and the oats gave it a nice home-baked quality.

Black Cherry Almond:



This one was very hearty, with big chunks of almond and some dried cherry pieces. I actually wasn't a big fan of the flavour; I thought it could use a little more cherry. The upside was that it wasn't too sweet, so if you like bars with a subtler flavour and more subdued sweetness, this would be a good one for you.

LUNA BARS

Luna Bars are nutrition bars specifically designed for women with 70% organic ingredients. They are good sources of folic acid, vitamin D, iron and calcium. Each bar has 170-190 calories, 8-10 grams of protein, 3-5 grams of fibre and 11-13 grams of sugar. I like that these have a lower sugar content than the Clis bars, but are still just as tasty. They have lots of flavours that you can check out here.

White Chocolate Macadamia:



This one had a bit of a nutty flavour to it with nice vanilla undertones. The coating tasted more like a yogurt coating than white chocolate, but it was good anyway. I usually find white chocolate too sweet, but this was a nice, milder version.

Nutz Over Chocolate:



Compared to other Luna bars I have had, this one didn't blow me away. I still liked it (I don't think I've ever met a Luna bar I disliked), but to me it didn't taste particularly nutty. It almost had a caramel-like flavour, which worked well with the chocolate coating. I would probably give this one a 7 out of 10, it didn't thrill my taste buds, but I didn't hate it.

S'mores:



This is by far the best Luna of the bunch! It has the perfect amount of sweetness and it's full of chewy, chocolately, marshmallowy goodness. If you can't get your hands on a real s'more, this is pretty good substitute. Plus, it is much more portable and less messy than its campfire-derived counterpart.

Overall, I really like these bars. They are great to have for energy before exercise or as a snack. Out of the Clif Bars, Crunchy Peanut Butter takes the cake, although Chocolate Chip is a very close second. Out of the Luna Bars, S'mores is definitely at the top of my list, but the White Chocolate Macadamia was pretty good too.

Now, all we need is for Canada to start getting more Luna flavours!! Currently, we don't get Iced Oatmeal Raisin, Chocolate Dipped Coconut, Peanut Butter Cookie, Peanut Honey Pretzel or any of the Luna Protein bars! When that changes, I will be one happy camper :)

Any favourite flavours of Clif or Luna Bars?