Saturday 15 December 2012

Holiday Projects

Hello Friends!

I'm officially home for the holidays and settling in for 3 weeks of good food, yoga and time off! Even though I have time away from school obligations, I have a lot of other projects that I had been neglecting when I was so busy with classes.

I wanted to write them out here, mostly for myself, but if anyone else is looking for productive things to do during their holidays, these might give you some good ideas!

Start looking into Masters programs and contacting professors.

Even though I still have a year and a half of my undergrad left to do, I want to start seeing what is out there in terms of Masters programs. I think it's really important to establish connections with people early so that you can form a network and find out about more opportunities.

I love western Canada and could see myself moving out there for my next degree, but I don't know what kind of research is going on currently. I know I want to study something relating to water management or water scarcity, but don't know the exact niche that I would best fit into. I'm rambling now, but do you kind of get where I'm coming from?

Work on blog improvements.

I know I only started blogging a month ago, but there are already some improvements I want to make and Christmas break seems like the perfect time to work on them. I have been thinking about switching from Blogger to the Wordpress.com host site, but that may take some time if I have to fix links and redesign my site.

I also want to add a workouts tab to my page to start posting some of the at-home strength training workouts that I have put together, but of course those will all need a test run first ;) Oh, and I have lots of products that I need to review, so I guess I have to work on eating!

Watch movies with my Mum!

My mum and I made this plan to watch all of the Best Picture Oscar-winning movies. Seeing as the Oscars started in the late 1920s, it means we have about 84 movies to watch. I don't know how long it will take us to accomplish this, but luckily they're all great movies!

Read my uncle's book, and hopefully some others.

I have been wanting to do some pleasure reading for ages now, but I never have time when I'm in school. The first book on my list is one that my uncle just wrote. He's a general surgeon and medical fiction author. His first book was called Surgical Heights and the newest one is A Surgical Plight.

My aunt and I were joking that the next one should be called Surgical Delight and should be about the sexual adventures of a young surgeon, but I don't think he's going to follow through with that one...

Do hot yoga every day.

I mentioned earlier that I would like to do 14 hot yoga classes in 14 days over Christmas so that I can cross it off of my 2013 Bucket List, and my dad was going to join me.

Unfortunately, my pops has a herniated disk in his shoulder so he may not be able to go very often, but I am still planning on sweating it out every day and I can't wait to get my downward dog on!

Update resume and start looking into co-op jobs for the summer.

I am in a co-op program at my school, meaning that I alternate academic semesters with semesters or relevant work experience. Well, my last work term is coming up in the summer and I want to put a lot of effort into my job search so I can find something great for me.

I haven't updated my resume for a while, so I am going to spend some time doing that as well as applying to jobs with approaching deadlines and searching out opportunities that may not be listed on my university's posting website.

Do research on New York City.

That's right! I'm going to NYC!! My friend texted me the other day asking if I wanted to go with her. She had seen that Ben Howard was going to be playing a concert there in February, so she bought tickets on the spot and figured she would get there somehow (a little impulsive there, Edes, but I'm glad you did it).

Anyway, I have been wanting to go to New York for years and have never made it, so I want to make the most of the 4 days we will be spending there. If anyone has tips on the best restaurants, sights, attractions or things to do in Manhattan, I would love to hear them!


Have a great Sunday!

What are some of your projects for the holiday season?

Any tips on what to see and do in NYC?