Tuesday 11 December 2012

WIAW: The Fridge Clean-Out

Happy Wednesday Y'All,

It's time for...duh DUH, duh da-duh... What I Ate Wednesday! Yes, that was my attempt at typing out a theme song for WIAW. I feel like it has become such a big event in the blog world lately that it kind of deserves its own theme song. Any musical talents out there who want to compose one and vlog it? Huh? Huh?? That's cool, I'll just sing it to myself once a week :)


So I still don't have any "healthy holiday recipes" to share. I did post a cookie recipe the other day, but I wouldn't put it in the "healthy" category. This past week, I was attempting to clean out my fridge before I go home for Christmas, so my eats fall more into the category of "interesting combinations" rather than "recipes".

Anyway, I guess I will share a few of those combinations for anyone who wants to know!

I'll start with breakfasts. For some reason, I had a MASSIVE amount of egg whites to use up in a very short amount of time, so I have been having about a half to a full cup every day.

I've been adding egg whites to my oatmeal...

Chocolate egg white oats topped with peanut butter
Making apple cinnamon protein pancakes...

Topped with PB, of course :)

Even an apple-cinnamon omelette.

Chopped apples cooked with cinnamon and ground ginger,
then thrown into a pan with egg whites, vanilla and stevia.
Kind of like an eggy apple pie :)

Lunches have been a similar jumble of I'm-cleaning-out-my-fridge-don't-judge-me weird combinations.

Yesterday, I needed to use up a little bit of spaghetti squash and still had some of my vegan pesto leftover. So, in an effort to get rid of more egg whites, I made some kind of spaghetti squash pancake/omelette/frittata-type thing, threw in a handful of broccoli slaw for extra veggies and topped it with pesto. It was actually pretty good too :)


Aside from that, I have just been making random meals by emptying the contents of my fridge into the oven or a pan.

Broccoli slaw, mushrooms and beans stir-fried with homemade peanut sauce.
One of my favourites.

Brussels sprouts, broccoli slaw and chopped turkey bacon roasted in the oven,
thrown into a bowl and drizzled with balsamic vinegar.
This was SO good! I'll be making it again soon :)

Of course, I had to have several large piles of roasted buttercup squash too. I just can't get enough of it!




It's funny, I am still suffering from a bit of "carbophobia", but for some reason I am always down for a massive plate of winter squash. It might come from the fact that, for a long time, if I were going to eat any type of carb, it had to be "worth it". For example, I've never been a rice-lover, so I would NEVER eat rice, because it simply wasn't worth the carbs. Even though I am moving out of that way of thinking, buttercup squash is still totally WORTH IT!

And really, what kind of December would it be without some holiday treats?

I've been working away at the advent calendar :)
Oh, remember that pretty gingerbread house I made on Monday night with my roommates?

Awwww....
We decided that something that pretty can't be taken apart bit by bit...

So we brought out the wrecking ball (aka. frying pan)!


 Sorry little house, you had a good run...



It was DELICIOUS!! By the way, that frying pan is now bent down the middle and thoroughly unusable. Woops... That house was tougher than we thought ;)

Note to self: Pigging out on gingerbread covered with icing and candy will not make your tummy feel good. Please restrain yourself next time.

Have a wonderful Wednesday :)

Is anyone else heading back to their parents' house for Christmas and trying desperately to get rid of their perishables?

Do you daintily pick at your gingerbread houses or initiate a tear-down?