Thursday 13 December 2012

Five for Friday: Redefining the White Girl Bum

Hey Everyone,

It's going to be a quick post today, since I've been last-minute cramming for my last exam of the semester and haven't had time to put together anything outstanding. I thought I would just do a Friday Five and talk about some random things that have been going on in the life of Devon :)

1. 

I included this in my last WIAW post, but I 'm going to feature it again because I just can't get enough of this combo!!


All it is is brussels sprouts and broccoli slaw tossed in a little olive oil and salt and thrown in the oven with a few strips of chopped turkey bacon. I bake it at 350 F for about 20 minutes and then drizzle it with some balsamic vinegar. It is so good!!

It's also an excellent use of alliteration: brussels, broccoli, bacon and balsamic. Yeah, I'm a bit of dork ;)

2. 

I mentioned a few weeks ago that since I have been nourishing my body better and having more energy for my workouts, I have been seeing some muscle mass gains in my... posterior. I have always said I have a white girl bum. It was flat. As in, pancake flat. As in, couldn't even fill out leggings flat.

I have always coveted the more rounded tushies of the world; the Beyonces, the JLos... even the Jessica Biels. Always wanting what I couldn't have.


Now that I have a little booty, you could say that I still have a white girl bum, but I am taking it upon myself to redefine the white girl bum. From now on, my white girl bum has a little oomph to it, and I'm proud! I'd say I have done enough squats to have earned it ;)

Sorry, no picture. My ass and I haven't had a good photo shoot yet ;)

3. 

I twinkle again! Let me explain...

See it??

When I was in Germany for the first time about 4 and a half years ago, tons of people had these cute little jewels on their teeth. I thought it was adorable and unique, so I went to a dentist and had one put on. They are supposed to last anywhere from a few months to 2 years, but usually less. Well, mine stayed put for almost 5 years! The problem was, it had become so dull that it was pretty much black and didn't sparkle anymore, so people would either not mention it or awkwardly tell me that I had food in my teeth... Great...

Well, I finally found a dentist near me that would take it off and replace it for me and now I twinkle once again!!!

4.

Remember that 750g jar of peanut butter that I bought exactly a week ago?


Is this normal?!?!? I'm almost halfway done!! It's not like I have been eating it uncontrollably or anything. I swear I take respectable portions at a time, but I have been having a spoonful on my oats in the morning and then dipping into it 3 or so times a day when I feel like I need a little something.

Does someone need to stage a PB-intervention? Should I join PBholics anonymous??

5.

I have spent a good chunk of my life wishing I were more like other people, mainly in regards to their appearances. I have always picked apart my body and my looks and coveted other peoples'. I compared myself to my friends, models and actresses, even random girls at the gym who I perceived to look better than me.


The other day, when I was at the gym, I felt particularly energetic for some reason. Maybe it was because I have been eating more and my body doesn't hate me as much; a connection I have never really made until now. So, as I was there, flying through my cardio intervals, I got an overwhelming feeling of "I wanna be ME!" It sounds super corny, but I just felt so on top of my game that, in that moment, I couldn't imagine wanting to be anyone else. It felt pretty good :)

Have a great Friday, the next time I post I will be completely free from school until January!