Thursday 27 December 2012

December Foodie Finds #1

Hey Everyone!

So, yesterday, I basically just ate a whole lot of leftovers. It was delicious, but not terribly interesting, so I didn't take any pictures.

One fun aspect of Christmas is that I always end up with some awesome foodie finds. My mum is a foodie/health nut like me, so my stocking is always full of delicious things and I wanted to share a few of those with you. This is going to be a two-part series because there's a lot of stuff and I didn't want to bore you with too much in one post.

1. Primal Strips


I can't wait to try these! I love Thai peanut sauce and mesquite flavouring and I love seitan. Since I don't eat red meat, these are a great alternative to beef jerky and the stats are great. One 28 gram strip has 74 calories, 350 mg of sodium, 4 grams of sugar and 10 grams of protein. That is a lot less sugar and sodium than regular jerky has, but it is still packed with protein.

2. Simply Protein Chips


These aren't a new find, I have had them before, but I love them! They are nice and spicy with really good crunch. They are also very filling thanks to the generous helping of pea protein. I was very happy to find these in my stocking :)

3. Sweet Truth Licorice Almond Butter Toffee


This stuff is like crack, I'm not kidding. I don't even like licorice, but the licorice flavour is so mild that you barely taste it. It is completely overwhelmed by the smooth, buttery flavour and the chunks of almond. It didn't take me long to get through it.

4. Minteas Ginger Pear Tea Mints


I was so excited to find these in my stocking. Ginger and pear are one of the best combinations out there. I was a little underwhelmed by these when I first tried them, but I had also just finished eating almond butter toffee, so pretty much anything would taste like crap after that magical stuff. I am going to try these again and see if I like them any better.

5. Vega Vibrancy Bars


I can't wait to try these. They are made with all whole, raw, sprouted ingredients and they are full of protein and fibre. I think I will have one before yoga one day to see if they boost my energy. Is anyone a fan of these?

6. Brass Sea Kelp Delight Seasoning


This was probably my most exciting present. I have never even heard of this stuff, but it looks amazing! It's packed full of nutrients and I haven't opened the bottle yet, but I bet it would add amazing flavour to food. I might try it sprinkled over salad or on chicken breast before baking.

***

I took a couple of days off of yoga, but I am back at it now and it feels great. Even though I am trying not to feel guilty for going overboard on indulgences for 2 straight days, it feels awesome to eat clean and sweat again.

My family is also getting ready for my brother's band to come and stay with us to practice for a few days. They are coming tomorrow and Saturday night they are playing a private party that we are throwing in town. I love the band, so I'm actually pretty excited to have them around. My mum has put me on breakfast duty for a few days, so I have been working on deciding what to feed them. I am going to make my epic frittata one morning and I have been working on a recipe for peanut butter and banana stuffed french toast that I am going to try out. If anyone has any other ideas for good breakfasts, let me know!

Have a great day!

Did you discover any awesome foodie finds this Christmas?

Do you have any great breakfast ideas to feed a crowd?