Wednesday 26 December 2012

WIAW: An Epic Christmas Day

Happy Boxing Day Everyone,

I hope you all had a marvelous Christmas. I know I did, it was filled with family time, friends, laughter and a whole lot of good food. It is actually perfect that Christmas fell on a Tuesday too because WIAW is the perfect time to showcase some of the good stuff that was available.


For once, I am actually going along with the theme and posting healthy holiday recipes. I made Christmas breakfast for my family yesterday and it was probably my finest work. I made this delicious frittata, which had so many different add-ins and ingredients that I will just call it my "Epic Frittata" instead of giving it a specific name.


Epic Frittata

Ingredients: (serves 6)

4 eggs
½ cup egg whites
¼ cup milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
2 tbs Dijon mustard
1 medium sweet potato
1 medium onion, sliced
1 handful baby spinach
5 roasted red peppers (I used jarred peppers), cut into strips
½ cup halved kalamata olives
½ - ¾ cups smoked cheddar or smoked gouda, grated
½ cup goat cheese
½ tsp black pepper
Olive oil as needed
Salt to taste

Preparation:

1.  Preheat oven to 350 F.
2.  Cut sweet potato into bite-sized pieces, toss in olive oil, bake for 25 minutes.
3.  Caramelize onion in a pan with olive oil.


4.  Beat together eggs, egg whites, milk, mustard and pepper in a large bowl.
5.  Add in sweet potato chunks, caramelized onion, spinach, red peppers, olives and smoked cheese and stir.

These are what I used for roasted red peppers. They are pretty
small, so if you roast your own, you may want to use fewer than 5.


6.  Pour egg mixture into a baking dish that has been greased with olive oil.


7.  Cover with tin foil and bake for 20 minutes.
8.  Remove foil, crumble goat cheese on top, bake uncovered for another 20 minutes.
9.  If the top isn't fully cooked, broil for about a minute or until it is cooked. Watch it carefully and make sure it doesn't burn!



I also made a delicious fruit salad to go on the side. It was very simple, but so good.

Vanilla-Scented Fruit Salad

Ingredients:

1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Juice from 1/3 of a lemon
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
10 drops vanilla stevia
Fruit - I used 1 apple, 1 pear, 1 persimmon, 1 pint of blackberries and half a pomegranate.

Preparation:
  1. Chop fruit into bite-sized pieces and combine in a bowl
  2. Combine first 4 ingredients in a small bowl until mixed well
  3. Pour sauce over fruit and mix

I know fruit salads are pretty easy to make, but I thought the sauce worked particularly well, so I want to remember the recipe.

*** 

The day was filled with cooking, preparation for dinner that night and munching on some of the delicious Christmas goodies we have in the house, but I will tell you about some of those in tomorrow's post. 

Dinner was at our house, so I helped my mum set up and get food ready.


The night was awesome. We had friends over. We ate lots, drank lots and talked all night. I don't have many pictures of food because I was busy cooking, socializing and frankly, I was a little drunk :) all of the appetizers we had contained either bacon or blue cheese (neither of which I like) so I just drank more wine to compensate. Oops!

I did manage to snap one picture of my plate without getting weird looks. Everything we had was amazing.

I had this x2
Clockwise from the top: red cabbage, apple arugula salad, turkey with homemade gravy, squash gratin, stuffing and a lemon rosemary potato. 

I was stuffed by the time I finished dinner, but dessert was so good that I had to have a helping [or two]. I don't have any pictures, but my mum made a berry trifle and a cranberry torte with rum sauce. Yum! I definitely overdid it last night, but it was Christmas. It tasted so good, the stomachache was definitely worth it.

I hope you all had a very Merry Christmas and that you enjoy your Boxing Day. I don't think I will be hitting the sales today. That scene is just a little too crazy for me. If anyone decides to shop today, I wish you free parking spaces, short line-ups and minimal trampling, cursing or fist fights over the last iPad.

What did you eat on Christmas day?

Do you hit Boxing Day sales?